Child Health

Service change: Child health appointments

To help us all stay healthy, we are changing the way we offer some of our services.

We may ask you questions about your family’s health and travel before the appointment.

We may offer some services over the phone or by video call.


Community Health provides a range of free services to support families to raise happy, healthy children. 

We offer health and development checks, immunisation advice and support to families with young children.

Purple Book appointments

We offer all families five child health or Purple Book appointments with their community child health nurse at:

  • 0-14 days
  • 8 weeks
  • 4 months
  • 12 months
  • 2 years.
It’s important that you see the community child health nurse at these key ages to check your child’s health and development.

We also offer:

  • a School Entry Health Assessment when your child starts school
  • group sessions on different health topics
  • extra help (advice, appointments or group sessions) if you need it.

What is the Purple Book?

The Purple Book is a free, parent-held child health record, provided by WA Health to every child at birth, usually at the maternity hospital.
  • The book helps parents keep a record of their child’s health and development from birth to school entry, in partnership with child health nurses and other health professionals.
  • If you have lost your book or are new to the state, you can get a copy from your local child health nurse.

How can I make a Purple Book appointment?

If you’ve just had your baby, a community child health nurse will contact you to arrange your first appointment.
  • This appointment will probably be at your home before your baby is 14 days old.
  • The nurse will also book in your 8-week appointment during this visit.

Perth metropolitan area

If you live in the Perth metropolitan area and your child is due for a Purple Book health check, you can make an appointment up to eight weeks in advance.
Simply call 1300 749 869 or register for an appointment.

Regional WA

If you live in country WA, please visit the WA Country Health Service website.
Last Updated: 22/06/2021